Wednesday, October 10, 2007

sorta late night thoughts

Hey People/Person-
Sittin' here on my bed, supposed to be reading a book simply titled "The Gospels", but instead I am distracted by this fantastic CD from "The Everybodyfields", given to me by my really sweet boss, aimee. There is a song on the album labeled "Good to be Home" and indeed I thought of home. I always thought, "Man! I'm so excited to get out of this place, and go to Cali or Colorado or somewhere!" But really, while a nice walk on the pier or beach does temper the sting of missing home; it doesn't replace the familiar smells and faces.

I am having a great time here and meeting some really cool people that have life stories much different than mine, but there is something sweet and mysteriously enjoyable about sitting in a place you grew up sitting, or turning on a light switch you always used to turn on and still remembering that it's higher on the wall than all the other ones. There is something "right" about driving down my street and still remembering, right before I pull in the drive way, that you have to push the garage door opener button more to the left side for it to work on the first try. Does this make sense? Weird I know, but I think these kinds of things. I don't miss familiar things too bad, but it would be "good to be home" (and don't get all theological on me and say, "well, you're not really home, Jon." Spare me).

While I understand that Nocona, Texas is not my home the aforementioned folk song made me think of it. And, I would fight a huge guard dog right now for the chance to sit on the gate at my grandpa's old piece of land and just do nothing but sit. I would. Mikey (or Michael, as I now say, because he dates) and D.O. would say, "yeah right, it would kill you."...I digress. I would do a lot of things to visit my "G's" house, in Nocona, and just sit there with her while she recounts her latest run-ins and issues. These things I have come to cherish. I would enjoy sleeping over at my Aunt Sudie's house, because she hangs the sheets out before she puts them on the bed and it smells like country air when you sleep. I would enjoy the creaking of the floor when you walk on it, because the house was built sometime around the turn of the century. It is funny to me that I have never been around so many people, and I have never thought more of how much I enjoy the country life.

That's all I wanted to say tonight. So if you are reading this and you are from my home or Nocona; I do miss you and would like to see you. Lord willing, I could see you around Christmas time. If you ever get the urge to take a 1400 mile drive to the beach or mountains, I recommend you follow the urge. Why? Because Palm trees are pretty sweet and the sand feel nice between your toes, but mainly because change is nice.

7 Comments:

At Thursday, October 11, 2007 9:36:00 AM , Blogger D.O. said...

1. Don't start calling him Michael. That's what he wants us to do. Mikey-4-LYFE!

2. As a believer, you must realize that this is not your home, and you won't be home until either Christ comes back and restores the Kingdom, or until you die... sinner.

3. I'm still planning on coming, just not sure when... do you and Mikey get the Luther St. emails? I need to know this.

 
At Thursday, October 11, 2007 11:06:00 AM , Blogger Michael Mills said...

You sellout.

DeeOh, I get no such emails.

 
At Thursday, October 11, 2007 8:43:00 PM , Blogger Jessica said...

thanks jon! i like your thoughts too. keep those coming as well.

 
At Friday, October 12, 2007 9:10:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i really hate how your light switch is higher and a button. it throws me all out of wack when i walk in that room.

jody

 
At Friday, October 19, 2007 10:31:00 PM , Blogger Jon David Tettleton said...

jody! WELCOME.

 
At Thursday, October 25, 2007 6:46:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

hey dude. biochem sucks so I just sit here and read blogs and such instead of listening to the chemical cause of caries (cavities). I will see you at Christmas my friend. I will be coming to Cali at some point.

 
At Thursday, November 15, 2007 8:17:00 PM , Blogger Stace' said...

These are all the things Sam Quinn would want you to think of while listening. Great post!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home