oh wow--california
Hey Texans-
I thought it fitting to write a bit, simply because I haven't done it in so long. California...Wow! An amazing place, full of amazing people. I have been so thrown off, by the friendliness of folks here. I assumed that life in Pasadena (which is about 20 mins northeast of arguably the largest gathering of the most shallow sub-culture on the planet, LA) would be extremely fast paced, shallow, and impatient. Funny thing, I haven't really found those characteristics to be overtly expressed by the people here. I started to think, and then confirmed that the reason I might not see it in these people is because I possess most of those characteristics. To illustrate this point further, in college I spent many nights at George Bush pond. Many nights I played guitar till 2 a.m., some nights I would just drink my cappuccino or smoke my pipe. Regardless of what I did at George Bush pond, there were a few rules I set for myself: 1) phone stays off and in the car 2) shoes stay in the car (regardless of the temperature) 3) walk slowly. These were the rules I went by when I went to G.B. When I sat by myself beside that pond busyness and school and friends simply took a back seat. Late the other night I drove to Santa Monica beach and walked on the pier and then went down to the beach and was in the middle of my stride when I noticed that I was walking like I was trying to get somewhere.
I haven't lost my spirit of contemplation, but it has been upset lately, because I am in a place that while beautiful and refreshing is still the heartbeat of worldly success and determination to be "somebody". This "get famous or rich" mindset is so thick it's hard to catch your breath in the midst of it. School has started and I already feel the love of Christ in the community at Fuller. I was so glad to start classes and begin to be challenged again, although, this attitude may wane quickly I am currently ecstatic about the going's-on here. I am taking a NT:Gospels class taught by a freaking smart young guy who just got his Ph.D at Princeton (Princeton only accepts 2 applicants a year). He's really nice and approachable and even quite humorous, while at the same time giving off the aura of brilliance. I am also taking a class called Family Systems Dynamics, which is basically an introduction into Family Therapy. This class is taught, by Dr. Cameron Lee, who is arguably one of the top professor in the U.S. in Family Therapy. He speaks quickly and hardly skips a beat. Reminiscent of a soft spoken Mark Driscoll. Needless to say, school will be difficult, but enjoyable. I am excited most to learn the history behind the Gospels and also thrilled to learn more and more about communication.
Patagonia is going great. The folks I work with are super chill and extremely friendly. All of my co-workers are probably more green now than I will probably ever become, but they have shed so much light on my way of life. I have learned so much about recycling and the frontiers that are quickly becoming destroyed. I have been challenged in a big way. Much like what Dr. Young states when he explained a conversation he had with a theology student once about how he wasn't "called to the mission field". The student just went on and on in explanation about how he could be used in the states to encourage and exhort. The student was adamant about his calling to stay in the States and minister. Dr. Young interrupted and said, "Do you know the names of any people groups overseas that haven't heard the name of Christ?...how can you know whether you are called or are not called, when you know nothing about missions?" I am learning about living green, not because global warming is coming for us, but because with all the difficulties of life, we are blessed with a beautiful place to reside on this side of heaven. And let us not forget that, just like us immortals, all the rest of creation waits for the return of Christ, too. It's not a matter of respecting mother nature, but praising Father God. Patagonia is helping me wrestle these issues, and I am thankful for that. Also, perhaps some of it is simply because I am selfish and I want to enjoy Joshua Tree and Yosemite and the Grand Canyon on little foot paths not on sidewalks. More on this later.
I am thankful. I resolve to know nothing about my future, but pray to know more. Hullabaloo.

2 Comments:
Thanks for the update. Lame comment huh? Sorry.
Good to hear how things are going for you bud. Another year or so and I may be out there with you.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home